Below you will find the FPST Parent Handbook for 2022. This handbook covers everything you need to know about our team and the upcoming swim season. Please take a moment to read through and familiarize yourself with all things team related, including safety, conduct, swim suit, and volunteer policies.
2022 Team Handbook
The Falcon Point Pirates Swim Team
Parent Handbook – 2022
Team Goals and Values
Our team offers children an opportunity to participate in organized swimming with the primary emphasis on individual improvement, achievement, and FUN! Good sportsmanship, team spirit, and discipline are also values taught through positive coaching, practices, and team participation.
2022 Falcon Point Swim Team (FPST) Board Members
Director: Sarah Sherwood
Treasurer: Michelle Mower
Volunteer Coordinators: Selene Malek & Joy Bastawrous
Equipment Manager: Rachel Sommerfeldt
Technology: Chris Day
Swim Team Eligibility
- A swimmer must be at least 4 years of age but not older than 18 years of age as of May 1, 2022. If required you may be requested to provide proof of your swimmers age
- To qualify for Swim Team all swimmers must be able to swim at least one length of the pool (25y) unassisted. If unable to do this, a refund will be given based on the rules in the refund policy.
- All swimmers must be eligible to participate in WHALe meets as outlined in the WHALe policies and procedures (found on the Swimwhale.com website)
The FPST reserves the right to limit age groups to a maximum of 30 swimmers per age group. If the group is filled we will waitlist additional swimmers until the end of the second week of practice. Spaces will be filled based on the time of registration.
Minimum Volunteer Requirements
- Upon registration with our team, each family is committed to fulfill volunteer points at our regular season intra-league dual meets. In addition, each family that attends the Meet of Champs (MOC) and the All-Star Meet (ASM) must also fulfill a volunteer position at these meets.
o Volunteer Requirements: 3 Points per FAMILY
- All volunteer positions for regular season dual meets will be available for online sign-up in May. All parents must ensure that they are able to log on to our team website on order to sign-up for volunteer duties. If you do not sign up for a volunteer position, then one may be assigned.
- As a condition of registration, you will be required to pre-authorize the charge of a $200 penalty for any family failing to complete their volunteer requirements. **NOTE: This fee will not be charged at registration, only the authorization for the charge. THIS IS NOT A BUYOUT OPTION.
- If you sign-up to work at a meet that gets postponed, delayed, or only partially completed, you are required to work the balance of your commitment on the date the meet is rescheduled.
- Volunteer positions for the MOC and ASM are assigned to parents before the meets. These meets DO NOT count towards your families 3 point requirement.
- NO SHOWS for volunteer points will result in your swimmer being pulled from relays at the current meet and/or next meet.
- If you have any questions or concerns please reach out to the team Volunteer Coordinator, as listed above.
Team Communication – Distribution of Important Information
FPST will utilize email, Remind, Facebook, and our team website to communicate important team information. Information regarding swim practice, swim meets, and important dates will all be posted on our team website and will also be sent out in an email to the entire team.
It is the parents’ responsibility to check our website/ email for changes and inform us immediately of any changes to your email address. Email address changes should be made via your profile on the team website and reported to email@example.com
2022 Swim Team Registration fees:
Club members receive discounted registration fees, please inquire for more info
$130 first swimmer per family
$125 second swimmer per family
$120 for the third and all remaining swimmers
$30 for swimmers 15-18
The registration fee covers: coach’s salaries, WHALe fees, a cap, t-shirt and trophy. Registration fees do not include team suit, goggles, or additional team events.
**Swimmers 15-18 years old will only pay a $30 registration fee and their parents will not be required to fulfill any volunteer commitments unless they have younger siblings on the team. We would appreciate any assistance the 15-18 year olds can give to the 6&U swim practice.
2022 Refund Policy
Withdrawal before April 30th: Full refund: A swimmer may withdraw from the team before April 30th and receive a full refund of team fees minus a $20 administration fee. This includes any swimmer not able to meet the requirements for swim team during evaluations.
Withdrawal after May 1 but before May 31: No refund, volunteer requirements will be cancelled if no other family member is on the team.
Withdrawal after June 1: No refund, volunteer requirements will need to be met to avoid $200 fee.
All refund requests must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or via the ‘contact us’ link on the team website.
- Parents are responsible for and are expected to monitor/supervise any child they bring to practice or meets. You may drop a child for their practice time, but a parent must be there when practice is over.
- No one is allowed in the pool or pool steps, except for the swimmers that are swimming at their designated practice time, or their scheduled event at a swim meet
- No one is allowed to climb on any equipment including lifeguard stands, water slides, swim ladders leading in/out of the pool, chairs, lounge chairs, lampposts, gates or other furniture or fixtures.
- Tennis courts are off limits and to be used only by Club Members for tennis.
- The Pavilion is a designated “Quiet Zone” during all practices. Children may play in the field adjacent to the pool complex but horse-play and other activities are prohibited in and around the Pavilion.
- There will be absolutely no running, skateboards, scooters, bikes, roller blades/skates allowed on the pool deck or pavilion.
- Alcohol and smoking are prohibited inside the pool area /deck. WHALe rules prohibit alcohol in all areas during WHALe meets.
- Club Rules do not allow Pets on Club property.
- No pool furniture will be available during practice. Please bring your own chairs if you wish to sit.
- Please practice social distancing
Weather Delays / Cancellations
Practice - The coaches will make the decision to suspend or cancel practice due to thunder and lightning, rain or other weather. In the event of thunder & lightning, everyone will be removed from the pool deck and will wait 20 minutes before returning to the water. If the weather has not cleared by that time, the coaches will make the decision to cancel practice for that particular age group for the day. Practice may continue if it is raining as long as the coaches can see the bottom of the pool. Just because one practice group may be cancelled, it does not mean that the rest of the practices will be cancelled.
Meets - At our meets it is the responsibility of the lifeguards on duty to make a call regarding weather conditions. If they see lightning or hear thunder, the meet will be suspended for 20 minutes. All swimmers, volunteers and their families must exit the water and clear the pool deck until the “all clear” signal is given.
Behavior / Discipline Policy
- The Club and League rules will be enforced at all times.
- Any swimmer whose behavior is disruptive, unsportsmanlike and/or dangerous will be asked to sit out of practice for the rest of the day, or will be sent home. This includes pushing others into the pool, bad language, making fun of others, not paying attention to coaches’ instructions, talking while the coach is talking, or doing anything that causes harm or ill feeling towards others in the pool. Depending on the severity / frequency of the misbehavior, the swimmer may be suspended for several days or expelled from the team with no refund. *Decisions to suspend or expel a swimmer will be made by the head coach and the FPST board members. Appeals can be made in writing to the FPST Board.
- Parents must be respectful of others on the pool deck and not allow their comments or behavior to be disruptive or unsportsmanlike.
- Parents will not coach or instruct the team, coaches, or any athlete at a practice or meet.
- There will be no discussions concerning your swimmer(s) with coaches while practice is occurring. If you have anything to discuss with the coach, please arrange a time after practice to discuss the matter or email them via the coaches’ links on the team website.
- Anyone causing disruption of practice and or a meet, using bad language or not conducting themselves in a proper manner may not be allowed on the pool deck the rest of the season, including meets.
This parent policy will be enforced by the team’s members of the FPST board and/or Club Management. If the FPST board members/Club Management are not present at the time of the incident, but another parent witnesses the incident, a meeting will be held to determine the facts and course of action that will be taken. This may be appealed in writing to the FPST board/Club Management.
Team Swimsuit Policy
NO team suit is required for 2022. Please have a properly fitting all black suit available for your child. Straps should fit snugly on girls shoulders, no bikinis for girls. No board shorts for boys.
Practice - Swimmers are expected to make an effort to attend all practices. We realize that during May there are several other activities that conflict with swim team practice. If your swimmer will miss practices due to other activities, please advise the head coach of what days your child will be absent.
Meets - A great deal of preparation is required to run a safe and efficient swim meet. We must plan for a swim meet in advance. It is imperative that you log onto our website www.falconpointpirates.swimtopia.com and declare whether or not your swimmer will attend a meet. If you do not declare your child as ‘attending’ a swim meet, we will assume that your child is not swimming.. There are no exceptions to this rule and the FPST board members and coaches will not call/email parents to confirm whether or not your swimmer(s) will be attending the meet. If you have not declared your child as ‘attending’ but you still show up at a swim meet, your child will not swim. We realize that children do occasionally get sick the day before or on the day of a swim meet and on these occasions you should email the head coach or the FPST board at email@example.com as soon as possible.
This swim season our team has four (4) meets.
Meets - Our meets will take place either on a Saturday morning (8:00 am start time) or a weekday evening (6:00 pm start time). Check the team’s site for this year’s schedule. Meet information (warm up times, volunteer report times, etc.) will be communicated by email and posted on our website. It is the parent’s responsibility to keep up with any changes. There are no specific end times to our meets. Meets typically last around 5 hours depending on the number of swimmers. Swimmers will sit with their age groups in their respective tents in the grassy areas outside the pool fence. When the swimmers arrive at the pool they must check in with the coaches or a Board member. There may be several heats for each event with the fastest swimmers being in the first heat of an event. All swimmers swim freestyle and backstroke. All swimmers 9 and older will be given the opportunity to swim breaststroke and butterfly. It is the coaching staff’s decision as to which events each swimmer will swim. It is also the coach’s decision as to who swims on relay teams and swimmers’ order. Questions regarding meet entries should be addressed to the coaches via email and NOT during a swim meet. * Note: If a swimmer has a Texas Age Group Standards (TAGs) times in a particular event, it is a league requirement that they swim up an age group in that event. Please visit the WHALe website for more information regarding TAG’s times.
What to bring to a swim meet:
- Folding chairs/blanket
- Healthy snacks
- A book, quiet games, or coloring to keep the swimmer entertained between events. Though not recommended, if children want to bring portable electronic devices such as IPad’s, or Kindles, they do so at their own risk. The Club and FPST board are not responsible for lost or damaged items.
- Water/Water bottle. It is important for our swimmers to stay hydrated.
- Sunscreen, Mosquito Spray.
- Flash light and warmer clothing (evening meets).
- Money (for concessions)
Scoring and Awards - The FPST Pirates are members of WHALe and follow the Dual Meet Scoring system outlined in the WHALe Internal policies and Procedures, which are available at www.swimwhale.com. Ribbons are awarded to all swimmers in all heats of our intra-league meets. At the end of the swim season, participation trophies are distributed to each swimmer on the team at our end of season team party. Also distributed are special Coaches awards for categories such as MVP, Sportsmanship and Most Improved.